Monday, March 5, 2012

Flip Flop Fly Ball


I love infographics! I had seen them all over pinterest, but I had not paid much attention to them until I got the book Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Adventure in my library. I enjoy watching baseball, but I definitely don't know everything there is to know! My visit to Yankee Stadium during Christmas break was very enlightening, and I learned a lot in the museum but learned even more from this book. Each page is a different type of graphic or chart that tells you everything you could possibly want to know about baseball. Some of which, as a baseball novice, I didn't quite understand, but I am going to one day! My husband is tutoring me.


Here are some of my favorite facts from the book:



  • There were 2,757 bases stolen during the 2008 MLB season. If they were actually stolen, MLB teams would have lost $248,102.43 worth of bases!

  • Barry Bonds holds the record for career walks. If you put them all together it would be 43.6 miles.

  • Only 7 MLB parks are smoke free.

  • Thirty-six world series have gone to 7 games. Eighteen were won at home and eighteen were won on the road.

  • Nolan Ryan's first MLB season was in 1966 and last was in 1993. WOW!

  • The New York Yankees have retired 17 numbers (including #8 twice). #42-Jackie Robinson-is the only one to be retired in all of baseball. This is my addition: Mariano Rivera is currently a Yankee, and he wears #42. He wore this number before it was retired so he can continue to wear it, but he will be the last! (Don't be intimidated by my baseball knowledge!)



I love looking at infographics so much that I started looking into how I can create my own, and I came across the website visual.ly. Graphic designers are able to upload their infographics here for everyone to share. They are in the beta testing stages of having a site for people like you and me to create our own infographics! I have signed up on their test page to recieve an email when it is ready to go. When it is ready, it will be great for so many things, but I can see limitless potential for our math classes! While you are waiting on this creation tool, check out
the Daily Infographic blog for a new infographic every day. Some of them are school appropriate and some of them are not so make sure to preview them before sharing with your students. Have fun learning!

2 comments:

  1. I received this book through my standing order with School Library Journal. What a great book! I don't think I would have picked it myself. I can't keep it on the shelf - the students love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, too! I'm hoping to see lots of other books like this start being published!

    ReplyDelete