Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I am a Close to Famous...Chef Wannabe

Close to Famous
I love cooking, and I love pretending that I am a chef!  I was immediately drawn to the cover of Joan Bauer's most recent novel, Close to Famous.  I wasn't disappointed.  It has a wonderful combination of baking and heartwarming friendships that help the main character, Foster, overcome many fears.

Foster McFee dreams of having her own cooking show one day just like her favorite Food Network Star.  For now, she has to settle for baking cupcakes for anyone who will take them.  Foster and her mom are running away from their problems in Tennessee, and they run straight to the town of Culpepper where they find friendship, dreams and almost fame.  




Fooducate

The Fooducate app is available for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad.  It allows you to scan the barcode on a product, and it will give you the nutritional facts of the item. Your food is also given a grade, and sometimes I would rather not know!  You can also search a database if you do not have a barcode to scan.  It is very interesting to see the grade of foods that are normally advertised as natural or healthy.  The app would be a great tool for health or nutrition courses.


Happy eating...and reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment